skip to Main Content

How to Provide Great Customer Service on Twitter

Social media has become every business’ companion in implementing a great marketing strategy, as well as, delivering amiable customer service.  According to the statistics and social media facts gathered by Jeff Bullas, while Facebook remains the unbeatable platform, Twitter is significantly, productive and useful too.  In fact, Twitter has 550 million active users and approximately 500 million tweets sent every day.  There’s no doubt, Twitter has evolved from its original platform for sharing updates with friends to an integral part of the marketing department.

Now, imagine if half of the demographics were your followers?  And, with how people react and put their complaints on blast socially, how are you going to provide great customer service?

Here are 3 ways to provide great customer service on Twitter:

How to Provide Great Customer Service on Twitter

1. Respond in a timely manner.

The challenging part of handling customer service over social media, in this case, Twitter, is how fast and accurate you can respond to the complaints.  Studies show that 70% of customer service complaints on Twitter are never answered.  In cases where the tweet has been answered, the waiting time is usually 4.6 hours.  By that time, your customers have already fixed the issues, which only means, you are forming a group of dissatisfied customers.  Basically, if you are not able to respond as quickly as possible, there’s a huge chance that others might read the complaint and if they see it unanswered, they might have the impression that your company is a joke.

Although, 5% of brands respond within an hour, it would’ve been better if the remaining 95% were addressed also. Essentially, if you are quick to tweet back, you are likely to boost sales up to 71% (or more).

2. Hire a social media manager.

Depending on the size of your business (and wallet), hire a social media manager to help filter and answer your customers’ complaints.  Following point 1, responding to your customers ASAP is critical.  If you think you are still new to Twitter or overwhelmed with a lot of complaints, consider hiring an experienced social media manager.  These people are skilled to do such tasks to minimize your complaints.  Remember, how you handle customer service is the main reason why customers either stick or leave your product.  So make it count by spending a little money in training and developing your staff or future social media manager.

3. Offer another channel.

Responding to a lot of complaints is time-consuming and with some complaints that are controversial, Twitter is not the best place to solve such issues.  If the tweets get emotional or really personal, consider taking the conversation offline.  Perhaps respond by saying you will give them a call instead or ask for their email address, and once given, deal with the complaint accordingly.  You may want to offer the traditional way of sending feedback or complaints by giving the company a call, e-mail or even text messaging.  In short, be professional and fix the problem by adding a personal touch.

Regardless of the platform and with my experience in the Customer Service industry, customers (myself included) remember the bad experiences more than the good ones.  And, it really takes a long time for someone to finally trust the product again.  With how fast Twitter has evolved, it will be one of the social media platforms you could use to offer great customer service. However, if you don’t have the knowledge to use Twitter, it could also invoke negative comments to your company.

So, if all else fails, just remember these three ways I’ve shared above: accuracy, hiring a reliable social media manager, and diversity by offering other customer service channels.

Image: Photospin

Author Bio

Alleli Aspili is a Senior Specialist for Business Development in Infinit Outsourcing, Inc. (Infinit-O), an ISO-certified BPO company that caters inbound call center, finance and accounting and healthcare outsourcing to SMEs. Responsible for maintaining Infinit-O, Infinit Contact, Infinit Healthcare, Infinit Datum and Infinit Accounting online brand and content.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top