When you blog as much as I do, you sometimes suffer from what I call “blogger’s block.” Just like writer’s block, it can keep you from coming up with ideas, or simply stall you from writing content on your company’s blog regularly. Unfortunately, most of us entrepreneurs don’t have the luxury of waiting until creativity strikes to blog, so I’ve come up with 5 tips to help you kick blogger’s block in the butt and keep writing fabulous posts.
1. Keep a List of Topics Handy. The biggest obstacle for me is coming up with yet another fresh idea on a topic I’ve already written hundreds of posts about. When we sit down to write, ideas don’t always flow. That’s why I recommend keeping a spreadsheet handy where you can save ideas for when you’re ready to write. Ideas come at the oddest times for me; sometimes I wake up with one, or find one while I’m winding down on the weekend. I’m quick to record it, lest I forget it.
2. Get Used to Writing. Everyone’s high peaks of creativity happen at different times. For me, it’s mid-morning and after lunch. For you, it might be midnight. And while it’s great to take advantage of these periods, you’ll need to train yourself to be able to write any time. So write. Don’t judge the output; just write. The more you do so, the easier it will come.
3. Read. Magazines, books, and blogs are great inspiration for your blog ideas. Heck, even the barber shop can be inspiration! The more of the world you consume, the more you will expand your mind, which fosters creativity.
4. Get Out of the Office. Sometimes, staying at your desk is actually counterproductive. Take a break. Step out of your office. Walk around the block. You might be surprised at how ideas bubble forth.
5. Sharpen Your Skills. I’ve shared my favorite copywriting resources. Read them. Improve your skills, and you’ll feel rejuvenated in your writing.
What would you add to this list? How do you break out of blogger’s block?